Cooling towers use evaporation of water to remove excess heat and cool the working fluid. Cooling towers provide low water temperature with air-cooling or another dry rejection device. It is not only cost effective but an energy efficient system for cooling. There are many types of cooling towers like counterflow, cross flow and hyperbolic.
A chiller is normally a machine that helps to remove heat from the liquid through absorption or vapor compression. The liquid normally circulates through the heat to cool the particular equipment. Chillers and cooling towers are rated on the basis of the range and approach. This also depends on different types of temperature. There are many hazardous chemicals that are used in chillers and cooling towers.
Cooling tower uses Acid that can lead to oxidization or scaling. The sulfuric acid introduces sulfate ions (SO4-2) to the normal water. Eventually, this may also lead to calcium sulfate deposition depending on the temperature.
It’s important to use nonchemical treatment for chillers and cooling towers to prevent the use of chemicals. A progressive system technology can be used for this purpose.
A progressive system can help to get rid of various problems that occur due to chemicals. Many cooling plants are avoiding the use of chemicals because of its side effects. The progressive technology aims to create a treatment that would do the task without any harm to the plant.
The Technology Can Work Through All The Following Problems
- The problem of scaling – When the water evaporates from the cooling tower, the concentration of the solid increases to a great extent. And, if the concentration gets too high, more than the temperature it causes scaling. The solids can scale in the system.
The problem of scaling can be prevented by the Progressive system without use of any chemicals.
- Fouling – It’s the buildup of small deposits in heat surfaces of cooling towers. Fouling can degrade the heat exchange performance. When the chemical changes within the liquid base, it causes different types of fouling. Fouling also causes deposits in the tube surface.
Non-chemical methods can be used for cleaning the system. This will actually help to enhance the performance. To start with existing Cooling Towers shall be cleaned and then progressive system can take over. There will be no particles in the cooling system with this method.
- Corrosion – Corrosion normally prevents a metal loss that leads to critical system failure in the cooling towers at most times. It regulates the water piping and also processes the cooling equipment. Corrosion normally occurs when the metal attempt to return to their natural state.
Using the progressive technology system, corrosion can be prevented. The system operates in a saturated environment that is naturally non-corrosive in nature. With this technology, there is no added risk of chemical corrosion. It’s a safe way to prevent the problem in cooling towers.
The Hazards Of Using Chemical In Cooling Towers
- High blowdown problem – Cooling towers use water for evaporation. Large particles remain after the evaporation occurs and this causes a blowdown. When the blowdown occurs in the cooling plant, the chemicals are lost along with the solid waste. If the cooling tower requires more blowdown, then the water treatment may not be right..
This can be corrected using better water treatment that removes scale forming in a positive way. You can also manage the cooling system program to reduce the chance of blow down due to chemical use. The problem of blowdown also occurs in chillers at most times.
- High costs – The treatment of cooling tower through chemicals can incur high costs. This includes the upfront planning costs and maintenance costs. It includes the installation rates too. The cost also includes maintaining the normal makeup and registry of the cooling tower system.
The plant also incurs system discharge fee cost. Use of chemicals in the plant ups the cost to a great extent. If you use non-chemical treatments, then you can save on your costs as well. There are many non-chemical treatments available for cooling towers and chillers, choose according to your budget.
- Health risks – It’s not easy to maintain a cooling tower. Use of chemicals can also put a person working with the tower to health risks. Use of chemicals can cause many respiratory and breathing problems. The contaminated water and chemicals can also cause problems with lungs. Most people who work near the tower also face the risk of Pontiac fever.
It’s best to avoid the use of chemicals in cooling towers and chillers to avoid the health risks. Natural treatment will ensure that there is no such health hazard. This will not only make the working safe but also secure. There will be no health risk associated with natural ways.
- Water wastage (Bleed off) – The water that circulates around the tower has four times the concentration that makes water cycle operational. Bleed off is the normal process of removing one portion of concentrated water which is then replaced by the normal water. The chemical based water is subject to bleed off most of the times.
A normal cooling tower can bleed off up to one million gallons of water in a year. The water wastage causes other problems as well. Thankfully, there are conservation solutions that can stop bleed off to a large extent. You can opt for a cooling water conservation plan for this purpose.
Initiatives Limiting Chemical Use And Implementing Environment- Friendly Measures
It’s important to calculate and understand the cycles of concentration of water. Checking the ratio of conductivity in blow down is important. Maximizing the cycles of concentration will help. Increasing cycles from 3 to 6 will also reduce the cooling tower makeup water. Installing of conductivity controller can also help to control the normal blowdown.
Installation of flow meters can help you to know about the ratio of normal blow down. Consider using treatments that are chemical free for chillers and cooling towers both. Non-chemical water treatment can help to save a lot of money.
The Electrolysis Treatment For Cooling Towers
This non-chemical treatment saves 80% of blowdown water. The blowdown water can also be reused for other services. It provides high-performance sand filter cleans. It provides automatic self-cleaning to remove accumulated scale and dust.
It creates a balanced PH environment that prevents a problem like corrosion. The cost is low operating and it’s totally environment safe. It also provides an optional bleed control feature. This increases the operational efficiency and also eliminates energy costs and discharge fees. Chemical-free treatment for cooling towers and chillers is safe and cost operational.